You can connect an electric guitar to your computer, and play and record it in an Electric Guitar track. You can choose guitar presets, amps, and stompbox effects to dial in the tone you want your guitar to have.
Play and record your electric guitar
- Connect the electric guitar to the audio input port of your computer using an adapter cable, or to an audio interface connected to your computer.
- Click the Add Track button in the control bar.
- In the Add Track dialog, select Electric Guitar.
The Add Track Dialog appears, with an icon for each track type.
- Click the disclosure triangle next to Instrument Setup.
- Choose the input source from the upper-left pop-up menu.
- If your guitar is connected to your computer’s audio input port, choose Built-in Input.
- If your guitar is connected to an audio interface, choose the interface channel the guitar is connected to. Unless the guitar has stereo output, choose a Mono (monophonic) channel.
- Under “I hear sound from,” choose the audio output you want to use to hear the sound from your guitar.
- To turn on monitoring for the track, select the “I want to hear my Instrument as I play and record” checkbox.
- Click Create.
The new track appears selected in the timeline.
- To start recording, click the red Record button in the control bar.
The playhead moves across the timeline, and a new, red region with the recording appears in the selected track.
- When you’re finished, click the Play (>) button in the control bar to stop recording.